COME TO THE FRONT!
HNIA + ASM
"COME TO THE FRONT"
Three performances 24th - 27th February in NYC!!
COME TO THE FRONT is His Name is Alive's Warn Defever and Anti-Social Music joining forces for a three-day residency in New York City.
Performances include chamber ensemble piece that begins peacefully but catches fire quickly, a film of the mythical "Wolfman of Detroit" and ending with a noisy electric kalimba installation at Brooklyn's Soundfix, as well as Monkeytown and The Living Theatre in Manhattan.
Make sure you're standing in the front when punk-chamber music group ASM and HNIA provide everything from earth-toned electronic music to mountains of handmade electric kalimbas. COME TO THE FRONT is a performance-based piece and a three-day celebration of electricity, wolfmen, chamber music, and magical vibrations!!!
----- - - - - --- -- - - -- --------- - - - - --- - - -- ---------
ARTIST STATEMENT by Warn Defever
"COME TO THE FRONT" is three part performance/event-oriented piece that celebrates memories of growing up around the perimeter of Detroit, compares poverty-sticken urban American cities to war-torn third world countries, and concludes by finding hope for a peaceful world in creating simplistic music from handmade instruments.
It was originally conceived as a series of photos that would match scenes of extreme decay and destruction in downtown detroit with strangely similar looking photographs taken in Mexico, India, Nepal, Iraq, and the Netherlands.
DON'T WAKE THE DRAGON (part I)
As children we learned that my father could be easily awoken during his frequent afternoon naps required by his night time shift work. The familiar sound of his bedroom door opening and his angry heavy steps coming down the stairs would leave us paralyzed with fear. Still half asleep and blood half filled with alcohol, my father would randomly lash out at the earliest target located regardless of which child had been the actual source of the offending noise. We learned to do everything quietly.
Playing the piano in a quiet and meditative style became a means of survival.
Watching television with the sound off for years may have contributed to my lack of interest in television and film.
We dreaded the summer time, when a loud chirping bird would bring him crashing down the stairs and one of us would be drunkenly and mistakenly attacked for "all that singing and dancing". Normal children would associate the sound of the ice cream truck playing "Pop Goes the Weasel" with great joy and feelings of excitement, but we immediately recognized it as a threat to our physical well-being. "Please don't drive down our street anymore," I pleaded, "you really don't understand." I do, however, understand now that it was unreasonable to expect the ice cream man to grasp that although his noisy musical calling card was eagerly anticipated by most other children, it was a source of terror and would result me or one of my brothers being misidentified and violently assaulted.
Eventually my father's drinking, restless sleeping, and high temper would lead to my siblings and I creating a dangerous multi-tiered game called DONT WAKE THE DRAGON, which included one variation where one brother would strike a drum, or slam a door at the precise moment his sibling was quietly walking past his fathers door, effectively putting him very much in harms way.
AFTER DEVILS NIGHT (part II)
"After Devil's Night" is a new work written expressly for ASM and this piece explores the musical / political landscape of the city of Detroit and how its drifted along seemingly without goals and purpose for over thirty years. New music in this bleak urban wasteland from the late 1960's until now has inexplicably grown alongside extreme political ideologies from avant-jazz groups like Griot Galaxy or the Tribe record label to techno pioneers like Underground Resistance.
Just as water overcomes obstacles in its path by flowing around them, these revolutionary political theories and musical performances are practiced unconsciously as spontaneous expressions without desire or real purpose. Popular online dictionary WIKIPEDIA defines "urban decay" by primarily citing Detroit as an example.
THE SILVER PIANO (part III)
Inspired by the work of African artists Francis Bebey and Kinshasa's Konono No.1, as well as American composers Phil Cohran, Mary Lou Williams, Don Cherry and Terry Riley, this piece is written for ASM to perform on homemade electric kalimbas.
Sometimes referred to as a thumb piano (or mbira, likembe, or sanza), the basic design concept for this instrument has been around for thousands of years.
An installation and exhibition of homemade electric kalimbas will be held at the conclusion of COME TO THE FRONT and all are invited to participate.
1. The population of Detroit declines on average by 10,000 people each year.
2. Warn Defever, founded musical group HIS NAME IS ALIVE in 1990 and describes their musical evolution as follows "Its a little hard to explain."
3. If population trends continue, Detroit will no longer qualify as an urban area by the year 2015.
4. COME TO THE FRONT is not a "staged" event, it is participatory and requires very few materials.
5. Average yearly US Army fatalities in Iraq since 2003 very closely mirrors the average yearly number of murders in Detroit since the 1970's.
----- - - - - --- -- - - -- --------- - - - - --- - - -- ---------
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS
Anti-Social Music + His Name is Alive
COME TO THE FRONT
Sun 24 February 8 pm
The Living Theatre
21 Clinton St. New York, New York 10002
Tickets: 10 (7 Students/Seniors)
Program includes works by Peter Hess, Andrea La Rose, Pat Muchmore, John Wriggle, Charles Waters, Daniel Littleton, and the world premiere of Warn Defever's THE SILVER PIANO for electric thumb piano orchestra performed by Anti-Social Music. Part of the Vision/RUCMA Series.
Mon 25 February 7.30 and 10 pm
58 N 3rd St (btw Wythe & Kent) Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Subway: L Train (Bedford stop)
Program includes "Music for ASM" by Dalek, and "After Devils Night" by His Name is Alive. Also includes world premiere of films by Scrapworm and Warn Defever commissioned for Music for ASM and After Devils Night respectively.
Live performance by Anti-Social Music. To see an excerpt of the video by Scrapworm for "Music for ASM", visit http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiWnTCt6v_8 . If you plan on coming, we recommend reservations. Also, Monkeytown has awesome food.
Wed 27 February 7 pm
110 Bedford Ave, Brooklyn NY 11211
Thumb Piano Installation by Warn. Visitors will hear and effect real time manipulated electric thumb piano sounds in a one night only interactive installation. Bring your own bells!
None of this is possible without the amazing talents of John Altieri, William Brittelle, Hubert Chen, Paul Chuffo, Jean Cook, Warn Defever, David Durst, Peter Hess, Bradley Kemp, Andrea La Rose, Daniel Littleton, James Moore, Pat Muchmore, Tunde Oyewole, Jessica Pavone, Evan Rapport, Tim Ruedeman, Kamala Sankaram, Philippa Thompson, Charles Waters, Matt Welch, and John Wriggle.
* * * * * * *
This residency is made possible by support from the great folks at Meet The Composer's MetLife Creative Connections program, Meet the Composer/JPMorganChase Fund for Small Ensembles, NYSCA, and public funds from the New York City Department of Cultural Affairs.
- ASM Presents The Why at Mama Tried September 13, 2023
- ASM Presents A Dying Person June 12, 2023
- ASM Presents Infrequent Seams June 7, 8, and 10, 2023
- ASM Presents Infrequent Seams Festival December 19, 2022
- ASM, Opera On Tap, and Kinesis Project dance theatre present Capacity, or: the Work of Crackling September 24-25, 2022
- ASM Presents Radical Acceptance album release celebration July 21, 2022
- ASM Presents Heart Songs and Sounds June 29, 2022
- ASM Presents VEER QUARTET at Greenwich House Music School June 25, 2022
- ASM Presents Infrequent Seams Streamfest 3 June 16-19, 2022
- ASM Presents ASM waters the garden May 15, 2022
- ASM and PinkNoise present: lo spazio inverso April 15, 2022
- ASM Drinks Alone For Two And A Half Years And Have No Plans To Stop Now April 1, 2022
- ASM presents Kilter At Nublu March 31, 2022
- ASM presents Home Audio's 10th Anniversary October 2, 2021
- ASM presents The Ultimate Love June 30, 2021
- ASM presents ONLY YOU WILL REGONIZE THE SIGNAL, Episode 5 - This Mesh We're In December 3, 2020
POSTPONED: Accordion show June 5, 2020 POSTPONED: Saxophone show May 22, 2020
- ASM Drinks Alone, Alone Again, Again February 23, 2020
- ASM + Opera On Tap present This Is The Ground July 5-6 / July 12-13, 2019
- ASM Presents Beeferman's Organ Trio June 14, 2019
- ASM Back In Back June 22, 2019
- ASM Drinks Alone Again (Squared) May 14, 2019
- ASM Presents Sandcatchers April 24, 2019
- Yiddish Labor Songs and More! January 18, 2019
- ASM + New Camerata Opera present Kamala Sankaram and Rob Handel's ENCHANTRESS November 30, 2018
- ASM riffs (Hangs out in barres, again) June 30, 2018
- PREMIERES: ASM Plays What You Ain't Never Heard Yet June 28, 2018
- PREMIERES: ASM Hangs out in barres June 21, 2018
- Looking At You February 8-9, 2018
- ASM Drinks Alone / Pours One Out December 17, 2017
- PREMIERES: PEOPSSONGS & CHEWY FOOT June 8, 2017
- The Wind in the Bellows (A is for Accordion, encore) May 19, 2017
- PREMIERES: A is for Accordion March 24, 2017
- ASM Drinks Alone Yet Again (Again) March 6, 2017
- PREMIERES: ASM Drinks Alone Yet Again February 10, 2017
- BABEL fragments release party August 25, 2016
- Horse Morsel in the Park June 21, 2016
- PREMIERES: ASM, The Oxford Comma, and The Interrobang May 28, 2016
- PREMIERES: ASM Drinks Alone Again. Again? Again (aka ASM vs Andie Springer) March 11, 2016
- Hands Hands Hands Hands (encore performance) March 4, 2016
- PREMIERES: ASM Has Too Many Hands January 29, 2016
- Much more Muchmore at Muchmore's November 4, 2015
- PREMIERES: Venimus, vidimus, audivimus vocem June 21, 2015
- ASM drinks alone in a Soho loft June 18, 2015
- ASM Under Waters June 10, 2015
- ASM Drinks Alone again... again May 8, 2015
- New York's Alright If You Like Saxophones (encore performance) March 31, 2015
- PREMIERES: ASM Does Not Get Saxy February 20, 2015
- WIP Free-for-all BBQ potluck! June 29, 2014
- MMNY 2014 @ RVRSDE PK @ 116th June 21, 2014
- PREMIERES: ASM Plays On Words. And Strings. June 13, 2014
- ASMin' like a BOS (Bushwick Open Studios) May 31, 2014
- ASM G̈oes̈ D̈euẗs̈c̈ḧ May 16, 2014
- PREMIERES: Big Pieces For Small Groups
January 17, 2014
- Glue Gun Optimism + ASM December 15, 2013
- ASM Walks The Dog June 19, 2013
- PREMIERES: ASM Drinks Alone... again May 9, 2013
- PREMIERES: A S M: A Ca Pe La April 26, 2013
- PREMIERES: SHOWDOWN @ JACK! February 18, 2013
- Anti-Social Music Distracts You on a Stressful Night November 6, 2012
- PREMIERES: Diana's Opening Night October 20, 2012
- Anti-Social Music Takes it to 11! March 9, 2012
- PREMIERES: New Music from Ukraine February 7, 2012
- Cloud Bridge, Detroit - with Warren Defever (His Name Is Alive) October 14-16, 2011
- Look Out, Sarah Lawrence September 28, 2011
- Nono Muchmore Warp(ed) Festival September 17, 2011
- ASM Resurrected (10th Anniversary!) April 29, 2011
- Triangle - A Puppet Play with Live Music! March 24-26, 2011
- PREMIERES: Slumming in the Slope March 4, 2011
- ASM Back at Union Pool! December 8, 2010
- ASM Tours to Ukraine! October 30 - November 7, 2010
- ASM Gets On a Plane! October 23, 2010
- New Music Bake Sale September 25, 2010
- Elvis Tribute To End All Elvis Tributes August 16, 2010
- PREMIERES: ASM Dips Skinny! Union Pool Party June 30, 2010
- Mucho Mas Muchomas! May 27, 2010
- Papacookie Potluck May 14, 2010
- Democracy! March 25, 2010
- PREMIERES: Little ASM, come blow your trumpet January 14, 2010
- ASM Gives Kamala Money November 24, 2009
- ASM Goes (for) Broke! June 25, 2009
- Lonewolf Tribe Benefit May 2, 2009
- New Music Smackdown! April 2, 2009
- Anti-Social Music... Drinks Alone March 6, 2009
- The Glorified Rehearsal! February 17, 2009
- PREMIERES: Election Night Spectacular! November 4, 2008
- ASM Blows! September 28, 2008
- PREMIERES: Whistling Pigs! June 19, 2008
- Playing Some Music March 13, 2008
- COME TO THE FRONT! February 24, 25, 27, 2008
- Muchmore Music — Muchmore Pierogies December 13, 2007
- PREMIERES: Feeling Conservative? November 10, 2007
- OOTASM!!! September 30, 2007
- Mohair Time Warp Redux June 27, 2007
- PREMIERES: I HATE SEA BASS: On Willful Obscurantism in William Brittelle's Mohair Time Warp June 8, 2007
- Anti-Social Music Gets Toasted, Visits Bucolic Wonderland May 12, 2007
- änti-söcial müsic dons heavy-metal umlauts April 22, 2007
- ASM: STUCK ON CAPS LOCK April 4, 2007
- Get Your Resolutions on with ASM! January 13, 2007
- PREMIERES: The Climax of the Octopus December 2, 2006
- ASM's Gone Soft November 10, 2006
- Give US a Chance October 22, 2006
- Come Out the Wilderness! September 19-21, 2006
- Nitration! June 25 / July 1 & 2, 2006
- ASM at Sarah Lawrence and The Rat Land March 29 / April 4, 2006
- ASM Hits the Medium Time February 23, 2006
- ASM Purls Two January 19, 2006
- ASM Does NOT Sing the Great American Songbook December 10, 2005
- ASM Gives Feedback in Philly November 12, 2005
- His Name is ASM! September 17, 2005
- ASM Titters Coyly September 8-10, 2005
- PREMIERES: Spooning with ASM May 21, 2005
- AWOL for ASM February 8 & 18, 2005
- PREMIERES: ASM Sleeps Around! December 10, 2004
- PREMIERES: ASM Splits the Difference October 8, 2004
- ASM Family Reunion in DC August 28, 2004
- Joe Maneri's Unknown Chamber Works August 14, 2004
- Gin and Tonic? Try ASM and Tonic! July 11, 2004
- PREMIERES: The Deadly Rhythms! May 9, 2004
- Insert funny here... April 18, 2004
- PREMIERES: ASM saves Tokyo! March 13, 2004
- Late-notice Jersey January 4, 2004
- ASM vs Guignol November 24, 2003
- Hallowmas! October 31, 2003
- ASM on the road, again October 17-19, 2003
- PREMIERES: ASM Sings and Plays Out of Tune October 11, 2003
- Return to Galapagos! June 7, 2003
- PREMIERES: New Music...With Moxie! February 22, 2003
- Look Ma! Indie opera! January 23-25, 2003
- Don't you just hate that obnoxious little Darwin? October 19, 2002
- What's that Lassie? August 24, 2002
- Very Bad Gothic Poetry August 3, 2002
- ASM stole my girlfriend July 4, 2002
- PREMIERES: Try not to break the fine china June 21, 2002
- Bored at work tomorrow? June 20, 2002
- Oasis Grab Bag May 11, 2002
- PREMIERES: Dig it -- We're Incorporated! December 1, 2001
- An Afternoon of Anti-Social Chamber Music! March 25, 2001